In the square near the Belorussky station in 1928 Maksim Gorky spoke in front of the Moscovites who solemnly met him when he returned back to his Motherland from Italy.
The reason of shift is that the capital authorities started a major reconstruction of Tverskaya Zastava and construction of commercial-entertainment complex underneath.
At that time the Tverskaya street - main street in Moscow - was named after him.
The decision to erect the monument was taken soon after the death of the writer.
The work was started by a famous sculptor Ivan Shadr.
After the sculptor's death in 1941 the work over the monument was continued by Vera Mukhina.
With the beginning of reforms of the Russian society in 1990, the Gorky street was again renamed.
Fortunately, the monument to the revolutionary writer, «Shearwater» as he is often called, remained intact.
The creative work of Maksim Gorky is much wider than those frames into which he was put by official literary criticism.
It may happen that the Russian reader will again reveal for himself «Old lady Izergille» and «The Mother» and «Klim Samgin» and many many other things.
Белорусский вокзал (10.6 1951 - 16.12 2005)
square at the Belorussky station
парк искусств (2007 )
park of Arts at the Krymsky embankment
Скульптор В.И.Мухина, Н.Г.Зеленская, З.Г.Иванова (по проекту И.Д.Шадра).